The NIH News in Health
skip navigation
June 2006
The NIH news in Health  

Tell Us What You Think
Printable PDF version
Subscribe to the News in Health newsletter
Health Capsules
NIH Helath Information Website
Past Issues
Link To Us

, Ph.D., Writer/Editor
National Institutes of Health
Office of the Director,
Office of Communications
and Public Liaison
Bldg. 31, Rm. 5B38C, MSC 2090
Bethesda, MD 20892-2090
(301) 435-7489

Marian Emr, Margaret Georgiann (illustrations), Arthur Stone and
Harrison Wein

Ignore the Pain?

Ignore the Pain?
Innovative Pain Management Ideas
Two people fall and suffer seemingly similar injuries. Six months later, one has completely recovered but the other still has debilitating pain. How can different people seem to experience pain so differently? Through carefully controlled experiments using advanced brain imaging techniques, researchers are discovering that people's brains can process the same pain signals from their bodies very differently. These insights are leading to surprising new strategies for controlling pain.

full storyfull story

Good Vision
Millions Don't See as Well as They Could
Until now, there hasn’t been a national survey on vision since the mid-1970s.  A new report has found that although 94% of Americans 12 years old and older have good vision, the remaining 6%—14 million people—are visually impaired.  Of these, more than 11 million could improve their vision with eyeglasses or contact lenses.

full storyfull story

Feature form past issues.

To receive an email alert when new issues are posted, send an email to with the words "Subscribe NIHNewsInHealth-L" in the message body.
NIH logo National Institutes of Health (NIH)
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
DHHS logo Department of Health and
Human Services
  Office of Communications and
Public Liaison